Distant view of the Jami Masjid, Gol Gumbaz beyond, Bijapur
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the the Jami Masjid with the Gol Gumbaz beyond, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s.
The Adil Shahi dynasty ruled parts of southern India from the late 15th to the late 17th centuries, with their capital in Bijapur. The Jami Masjid was commenced in the late 16th century by Ali Adil Shah (r.1558-80), but was never finished. It is the largest mosque of Bijapur, with arcaded sides and a large courtyard with a reservoir in the centre. The prayer hall has a facade of nine bays and is crowned by an elegant, well-proportioned dome. The interior of the mosque has minimal decorative elements. In 1636 Muhammad Adil Shah (r.1627-1656) added the gilding and inscriptions of Persian verses on the mihrab. The floor of the prayer halll was divided into 2,250 rectangular inlays that resemble prayer rugs on the orders of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb (r. 1658-1707).
The Gol Gumbaz or Round Dome, the tomb of Mohammad Adil Shah (r.1627-56), is one of the greatest buildings of the Adil Shahi dynasty. Completed in 1656, it is simple in design, with an immense hemispherical dome 44m in diameter, the second largest in the world after St. Peter's in Rome.