Dvarapalas in right wing of the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It is excavated on three sides of a quadrangle and has a double storey with a spacious courtyard. This is a view of two sculptures of Dvarapalas, or guardian figures, flanking the cell entrances in right wing of the upper verandah.