District Courts & Public Offices, Rangoon
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the District Courts and Public Offices in Rangoon (Yangon), Burma (Myanmar), taken in about 1868, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. The photograph is unsigned, but it is probably by J. Jackson. This is a general view looking east along Strand Road towards the courthouse. Strand Road is the most southerly thoroughfare in Rangoon, following the coast in an east-west direction where the city meets the Rangoon River. The wide road and grand neo-classical architecture of the building date from the mid-19th century, when Rangoon was rebuilt by military engineers on a long, east-west geometric grid plan. At this time most of the public offices were sited in the area around Strand Road, between the Sule Pagoda in central Rangoon and the river. This print also appears in volume II of H.R. Spearman's ‘The British Burma Gazetteer’ (2 vols, Rangoon, 1879-80), p.576.