Photograph of the facade of the Dherwada cave at Ellora, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of HH the Nizam's Dominions, Hyderabad, Deccan, 1892'. The spectacular site of Ellora is famous for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a cliff of basalt. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and the 9th Centuries. The single-storey excavation in this view is in the southernmost group of the Buddhist caves, and dates to the 6th Century. It consists of a long spacious hall or vihara with residential cells cut into the side walls which indicate that it was used as a Buddhist monastery. The two long lines of benches carved out of the floor were probably intended for the use of the monks when studying or dining. The hall is divided into three aisles by two rows of columns.