Dalhousie Square, Calcutta 897123
Photographer: De Hone, A.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Dalhousie Square from the 'Walter Hawkins Nightingale (PWD) collection: Album of views of Calcutta, was taken by A. De Hone in the 1870s.
Dalhousie Square, named after Lord Dalhousie who appointed Governor-General in 1847, was the main administrative area of Calcutta. The square also housed the headquarters of the East India Company known as the Writer's Building, the Currency Office, and the General Post Office. Dalhousie Square has been renamed BBD Bagh after three Indian nationalists Benoy, Badal, and Dinesh. St. Andrew's Church is visible in the background.
View across Dalhousie Square from the top of the Telegraph Office, looking over the tank (water supply) towards the General Post Office. A portion of Writers' Buildings may be seen on the right, where employees of the East India Company, new to India, lived on their arrival in Calcutta.