Dilkoosha Palace, Lucknow.
Photographer: Baker and Burke
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Dilkusha palace in Lucknow, taken by Baker and Burke in the 1860s, from theEdward Molyneux Collection: Album entitled 'Indian Photographs'.
Dilkusha was built by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (r.1798-1814) as a hunting lodge. During the Uprising of 1857 Indian sepoys sieged the Residency complex at Lucknow where 3000 British residents and loyal Indians were trapped for five months before the arrival of troops. Diluksha, was used by Sir Colin Campbell, the British Commander-in-Chief, as a headquarters when reliving the Residency, the siege was finally ended by his troops on 17 November 1857. Sir Colin Campbell used the Diluksha again in March 1858 when making the final assault upon Lucknow. Lucknow architecture of the late 18th and 19th century was notably influenced by European architecture; this building was based on the English classical baroque style. Dilkusha has a striking resemblance to Seaton Delaval, a house in Northumberland. This is a general view of the country house from the garden.