Distant view of the Fort of Bassein, taken from the Cooley Bridge, which separates the mainland from the fishing village of Bassein
Photographer: Scott, Charles
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Bassein Fort, Maharashtra, taken by Charles Scott in the late 1850s. This view is taken from Cooley Bridge, which separates the mainland from Bassein fishing village. Bassein is situated twenty-eight miles north of Mumbai and was a thriving Portuguese city from 1534 to 1739 when it was sacked by the Marathas. The river which separated it from the mainland formed a convenient route for shipping and made it easier to defend. The Imperial Gazetteer of India states, "during this time it rose to such prosperity that it came to be called the Court of the North, and its nobles were proverbial for their wealth and magnificence. With plentiful supplies of both timber and stone, Bassein was adorned with many noble buildings, including a cathedral, five convents, thirteen churches, and an asylum for orphans."