Doorway of Buddhist Vihara, Cave XVII, Ajanta
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the doorway of the Buddhist vihara, Cave XVII at Ajanta, taken by Henry Cousens around 1880, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 17 monastery or vihara was excavated during the reign of Harishena (r.460-78). It has a pillared verandah and a squared central space surrounded by cells. This cave preserves the largest number of mural paintings, illustrating Jataka legends. Over the doorway in the verandah is a row of 8 seated Buddhas above amorous couples.
With wall paintings on lintel and ceiling above.