Doorway into right aisle of Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Cave XXVI, Ajanta
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carved doorway of Cave XXVI at Ajanta, taken by Henry Cousens around 1880, from the Archaeological Survey of Western India. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. This large and elaborately decorated chaitya hall belongs to a later group from the 5th century AD. A columned verandah, now almost destroyed, preceded the courtyard before the cave. The doorway in this view has bands of carving around architraves representing figures of amorous couples, ornate foliation and scrollwork.