Details of columns around verandah of the Mausoleum of Maiji Sahiba, Junagadh
Photographer: Sykes, David H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Maija Sahiba's Tomb at Junagadh in Gujarat from the Archaeological Survey of India, taken by David H. Sykes in c.1869. The town by ruled by Rajputs until 1472 when Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) took the city. During the Mughal period the area was under the control of the Mughal viceroy of Gujarat. Junagadh State was founded in 1735 by Muhammed Sher Khan Babi (r.1748-1758), the first of a line of Nawabs from the Muslim Babi dynasty. Their tombs, known as maqbaras, are situated in enclosures within the city walls in two groups dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The mausoleum in this view was erected by the mother of one of the rulers of Junagadh, probably Nawab Mahabat Khanji II (r.1851-1882) and contains her tomb. It is a free-standing structure with a square plan inside a walled enclosure, near the tombs of the Bara Sayyid or twelve saints. The inner tomb is surrounded by a colonnade of delicately-carved cusped arches crowned by onion domes and small minarets. This view shows details of the columns and cusped arches around the verandah of the Mausoleum. Cusped arches also appear on the window and doors of the inner building. The entire tomb is embellished with sculpted floral designs.