Detail of carved work of panels in the minarets of the Nagina Masjid, Champaner. 823
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of carved panels on the minarets of the Nagina Masjid at Champaner, taken for the Archaeological Survey of India around 1869. The ruined city of Champaner is situated north-east of Ahmadabad. It was a stronghold of Rajput kings until the Sultanate ruler Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) took the city in 1484. The Nagina Masjid, or Jewel Mosque, dates to the mid-16th century and is situated just north of the citadel. It has a similar plan to the Jami Masjid but on a smaller scale. This view shows the carved bands and niches filled with floral designs on the lower section of one of the minarets. The minarets have two galleries above the line of the central façade.