Door and railing of [Shwenandaw] kyaung, [Mandalay]
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a carved wooden door on the Shwenandaw Kyaung (Monastery) at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1903-07. The photograph was taken by an unknown photographer in 1904 under the direction of Taw Sein Ko, the Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of Burma at the time. The monastery was built in 1880 using material obtained from King Mindon Min’s apartment in the Royal Palace, which was dismantled after his death. Mindon (reigned 1853-78) founded Mandalay in 1857 in fulfilment of a Buddhist prophecy that a religious centre would be built at the foot of Mandalay Hill and the city became the last capital of the Burmese kings. The monastery is a resplendent structure ornamented with fine teak carvings, mirrored glass mosaic and gilding. This is a view of a doorway on the exterior, intricately carved with figures surrounded by bands of flowers, scrollwork and birds, set between panels encrusted with carved figures and scrollwork, with another very ornate panel above.