Dhar Fort from the East
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Dhar Fort from the east at Dhar, Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. Dhar in the Malwa region of central India has a long tradition of history encompassing both Hindu and Muslim rule. It was once the capital of the Hindu Paramara dynasty from the 9th to the 13th century. It was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate in the 14th century and then became part of the independent province of the Sultans of Malwa before passing to the Mughals in the 16th century. The fort, now ruined, stands outside the town on a low hill. Its construction in 1344 AD is attributed to Muhammad Shah II (ruled 1325-51), a Sultan of Delhi of the Tughluq Dynasty. It is made of red sandstone and surrounded by ramparts with twenty-six bastions. During the Uprising of 1857 it was the scene of one of the first battles of retaliation by the British against Indian revolutionaries who had occupied the fort. British troops under General Stewart bombarded the fort for six days with siege guns, creating a breach. However the freedom fighters were able to escape and on entering the fort, the British found it deserted.