Elephant House [Rampur]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a group of elephants lined up in a compound at Rampur in Uttar Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1911, from the Nawab of Rampur's presentation album. The album was presented to the India Office by the Festival of Empire in November 1911. The Nawab of Rampur, Hamid Ali Khan (1896-1930), was one of the exhibitors at the Festival of Empire exhibition, held at Crystal Palace to mark George V's coronation. Hamid Ali Khan organised an extensive rebuilding programme which was carried out by W.C. Wright, the Chief Engineer. Wright's architecture synthesises elements from Islamic, Hindu and Victorian Gothic, known as Indo-Saracenic.