Elphinstone Circle, Bombay. 8
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Elphinstone Circle in Bombay from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Elphinstone Circle was laid out in 1869 on the site of the old Bombay Green in Fort area of the city. The buildings were designed by James Scott as part of the redevelopment of Bombay which began under the Governorship of Sir Bartle Frere in the 1860s. This view shows that these buildings are characterised by the uniformity of their design and the use of a covered arcade at ground level. Following Independence, the Circle was renamed Horniman Circle. This name refers to Benjamin Horniman, an English journalist.