Photograph of the facade of the Do-Thal cave temple at Ellora from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by J. Johnston in the 1870s. The site of Ellora is famous for its spectacular series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a basalt cliff. The works were carried out under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the sixth and the ninth centuries. This cave was called Do-Thal or 'two-storeyed' when it was discovered in 1876. The cave consists of a broad forecourt with superimposed halls extending deep into the cliff. The pillars are square and have simple capitals. The sancturaries inside house Buddha images. On the rear wall there are also carving of the Hindu deities Durga and Ganesha. This indicates that Do-Thal, although originally intended as a Buddhist monument, was reused for Hindu worship. Archaeological excavations have since revealed that the complex has three stories, not two.