Elephanta - The Linga Shrine or Garbha
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Linga shrine in the cave temple of Elephanta in Maharashtra, taken by D.H. Sykes around 1871 in James Burgess' illustrated book 'The Rock-Temples of Elephanta or Gharapuri'. The linga shrine of the great Shiva Temple of Elephanta, which was excavated during the 6th century, Kalachuri period, has entrances on the four sides which are guarded by dvarapalas or guardian figures. These show typical traits and attributes of the Gupta style and have crowns and jewels similar of those of Shiva himself. The shrine is flanked by two excavated courts with monolithic columns with squat tapering shafts and cushion-like capitals.