Photograph of the sculptured panel depicting Ravana shaking the Kailasa in the cave temple of Elephanta in Maharashtra, taken by D.H. Sykes around 1871 in James Burgess' illustrated book 'The Rock-Temples of Elephanta or Gharapuri'. This sculpture panel represents Shiva and Parvati seated in the Kailasa and under them the ten-faced demon Ravana trying to shake their mountain home. It is situated on the east entrance of the great Shiva temple of Elephanta which was excavated in the 6th century, Kalachuri period. The temple consists of a series of chambers cut from the rock. At the centre of 2 excavated courts there is a hypostyle hall of 20 pillars in which stand the Linga shrine. The east entrance leads towards the sanctuary and the north entrance towards the great Trimurti or triple-headed bust of Shiva. Other large scale figural panels depict different aspects of Shiva.