Entrance to the Minar of Firoz Shah, Gaur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This is one of a series of photographs taken by Joseph Beglar for the Archaeological Survey of India. It shows the entrance doorway to the 'minar' or tower built in 1487-8 by the Abyssinian ruler Saif al-Din Firuz Shah. The tower is twenty-six metres high and comprises five visual storeys divided up using decorative bands to create the lower three sections and tiering above. An internal staircase of 73 steps leads to the top. It was originally attached to a no-longer extant mosque. It stands on a twelve-sided plinth. The first three storeys are polygonal whilst the upper two are circular. This entrance doorway is carved from locally-quarried black basalt stone. The so-called Firuz Minar is sited just outside what was the imperial citadel at the city of Gaur, capital of the sultans of Bengal from the mid-fifteenth century.