Exterior view of the Hathi Pol Gateway, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Hathi Pol, or Elephant Gate, at Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The Hathi Pol, or elephant gate, is named after the two huge stone elephants on either side of the central archway. It is situated at the southern end of the palace complex of Fatehpur Sikri, built by the Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) between 1571 and 1585. The Hathi pol was probably the imperial entrance to the complex.