Exterior view of the King's Gate of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
A general view, from the north-east, of the King's Gate, or Badshahi Barwaza, of the Jami Masjid at Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, photographed by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The Badshahi Barwaza is the eastern entrance to the courtyard of the Jami Masjid in the palace-city complex of Fatehpur Sikri, built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). This Jami Masjid was completed in 1572 and was dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, a saintly Chisti Muslim, whose refuge complex was situated nearby. The main entrance to the mosque is the larger Victory Gate in the south but the The King's Gate was the entrance through which the Emperor passed from the palace to the mosque for prayers. The gate is in the form of a half-hexagonal porch with two large kiosks, or chhatris, above.