Exterior view of colonnade of north wing of the liwan of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, photographed by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. Akbar built his city close to the saint Shaikh Salim Chisti's refuge, after the saint had successfully predicted the birth of the Emperor's heir, Prince Salim. later Emperor Jahangir. This is a view of the colonnade in north wing of the liwan of the Jami Masjid, showing a section of the façade, with its a row of pointed arches, and a few chhatris crowing the roof above.