Entrance to the Shringara Chauri Temple, Chittaurgarh [Chitorgarh]
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by O. S. Beaudesson in 1882 of the Jain Shringara Chauri Temple in Chitorgarh, dedicated to Shantinatha, and dating to 1456. This view shows the sanctuary doorway with ornately carved architraves with Jain figures, river goddesses and yakshis. The basement mouldings are intricately carved with friezes of fighting warriors, maidens and musicians. The walls are decorated with pierced screens with geometric motifs and sculptural panels set bewteen pilasters. The fort of Chitor was under the rule of the Pratiharas and other dynasties from the seventh century. Many Hindu and Jain temples from this and later periods are preserved inside the fort. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68). Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.