East range of the Mor Chowk, City Palace, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the east range of Mor Chowk, in the City Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The City Palace is located on the east bank of Lake Pichola. It was begun by Udai Singh but dates mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. The Mor Chowk, or Peacock Court, is a private court in the City Palace, named after the peacocks in high relief set into the east wall. This is a view of the east wall of the court, showing the 19th-century glass mosaics of peacocks below, and the 19th century glasswork of the Surya Prakash above.