Entrance to King's Palace at Mandalay, with 'pyahthat' or turreted-repetition roof surmounting public Throne Room
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Nandaw or Royal Palace at Mandalay taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by Mindon Min of the Konbaung dynasty, Burma’s penultimate king (ruled 1853-78), as a new royal capital to replace the former capital at Amarapura which was believed to have become inauspicious. The palace was one of the first buildings to be constructed in Mandalay and re-used many parts of the teak buildings from Amarapura. It stood at the centre of a square fortress-city surrounded by a moat. The seven-tiered pyat-that spire and open colonnaded Great Audience Hall, shown at left and centre, were located at the eastern end of the palace facing the main city gate. The spire, known as the "centre of the universe", marked the sacred royal and religious space of the Lion Throne Room directly below. The gables and eaves of the palace buildings are decorated with traditional flame-like wood carvings. The palace was destroyed by fire in allied bombing during World War II in 1945.