Exterior of Fort William, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the exterior of Fort William, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Fort William was rebuilt in 1757 in Gobindpore, south of Calcutta. Designed by Captain John Brohier, it was an irregular octagon with seven gates and surrounded by extensive defences. New arrivals to Calcutta were impressed by their first sighting of the fort with its glacis, or gently sloping bank.