Enterior [sic] of Fort William (stables), Calcutta
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the stables attached to the barracks in Fort William, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. The New Fort William was built around Gobindpore, the most southerly settlement of Calcutta, to replace the Old Fort, which lay slightly to the north. Designed by Captain John Brohier, it was an irregular octagon with seven gates, surrounded by extensive defences. Begun in 1757, the main construction work was completed in ten years, but the fortifications were completed only in 1778.