Enterior [sic] of Fort William (barracks), Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of an interior view of the barracks at Fort William, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Fort William was initially built in 1707 and in 1742 a defensive moat was dug to fortify it against threat of attack by the Marathas. In 1757 when Robert Clive retook Calcutta from the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah, the Nawab of Bengal, a new Fort William was conceived and constructed. The main construction was completed within ten years, though the fortifications carried on until 1778. The oldest barracks, the Royal Barracks facing the river, were completed in 1764 and the North and South Barracks on either side, shortly after that.