English Church, Serampore
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of an English Church, Serampore, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Serampore (Shirampur), formerly named Fredericknagore, was a Danish settlement from 1699 to 1845 when it was ceded to the British. Serampore was known as a cultural centre and in 1799 William Carey, a Baptist Missionary, established a printing press. In 1819 Carey also established Serampore College which, in 1827, under Danish Royal Charter, became part of the first modern Asian university.
The English Church formerly the Danish Church was built in 1805. The church was financed by the Danish Governor, Ole Bie and partly by Marquess Wellesley, who wanted to enhance the view from the opposite side at Barakpur, with the church steeple.