Esplanade Row, Calcutta 897140
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Esplanade Row from the 'Walter Hawkins Nightingale (PWD) collection: Album of views of Calcutta, was taken by an unknown photographer in the late 1870s. Calcutta, the center of the East India Company in the 1690s, became the imperial capital from 1773-1911. Esplanade Row contained many of Calcutta's impressive public buildings including the High Court, Town Hall and Government House.