Entrance to Brahmanical Cave Temple, view from the hill in front, with monolithic pillar in foreground, Aihole, Bijapur
Photograph of the Ravana Phadi cave temple at Aihole, in the Bijapur district, taken by James Burgess around 1874. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the early western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the early and late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The Ravula Phadi is a small Hindu cave from the late 6th century which consists of two cells and a sanctuary opening on a common porch. Inside the cave there are finely carved figures of Hindu deities. Two guardian figures are carved on the external entrance wall. In front of the cave there are three small temples and a stone fluted column.