Entrance to southern portion of double storeyed cave temple, Karusa
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of southern portion of the double storeyed cave temple at Karusa, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'A double cave of two stories, very irregular in plan...the floor of the south half of this cave is about 6 feet 5 inches below that of the other hall. In front it has a screen with two pillars supporting a massive lintel; but inside this, what may be termed the verandah is open above, and has roughly fashioned dwarapala or doorkeeper on the south end and an unfinished one on the other.'