Entrance to northern portion of double storeyed cave temple, Karusa
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to northern portion of the double storeyed cave temple at Karusa, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'A double cave of two stories, very irregular in plan...Close to the of the north half of the cave stands an octagonal pillar, the mouldings about the top of which, however, are almost effaced...In the floor of this north side of the excavation there have been sixteen square pillars, of rough form, with rudely blocked-out bracket capitals...'