Ebhal Mandapa Buddhist rock cave at Sana, Kathiawar
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the Ebhal Mandapa Cave at Sana, in Gujarat, taken by D.H. Sykes in c.1869, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collection. This is a different cave to the Ebhal Mandapa Cave at Talaja, which is situated well to the east. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh' of 1876 Burgess wrote, "...not far from the village of Vankia is the Sana hill,- a wild desolated place, with not a human habitation in sight...The hill is honeycombed by about sixty-two caves, some of them much ruined, but all of them of the same plain type as those as Talaja, Junagadh and Dhank. Here too, one of the largest, near the bottom of the hill, goes by the name of Ebhal Mandapa...originally with six pillars in front, but none inside...Some of the excavations consist merely of verandahs with cells opening from them, as at Junagadh, and having recesses in the walls as at Junar and Nasik, as if for sleeping places; others are halls like the Ebhal Mandapa, with cells arranged near the entrance...The caves here, as at Talaja, must be attributed to a very early age, and may be regarded as among the oldest in Western India."