East view of the Kyaikpun Pagoda, [Pegu].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kyaikpun Pagoda near Pegu (Bago), Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1907-13. The photograph was taken by an unknown photographer of the Burma Archaeological Survey.
Believed to have been founded in 573 AD by two Mon princes, Bago (ancient Hanthawadi), was established as the centre of a great Mon kingdom between the 14th and 16th centuries. Kyaikpun Pagoda is an unusual pagoda in the form of four colossal 30m-high Buddha images, in sitting postures, facing the four cardinal points of the compass. They are seated back to back against a massive brick pillar. The pagoda, 5 km south-west of Bago on a tributary of the Bago River, was built by King Dhammazedi (ruled 1472-92) in 1476.