Photograph of a Jaina temple at Chitorgarh in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Northern Circle (North-Western Provinces and Oudh) in 1896-97. The hill-top fortress of Chitor was ruled by the Guhilot (later Sisodia) Rajputs from the 8th to the 16th centuries. While there was an earlier settlement at the same location, the buildings that survive today are mainly from the reign of Rana Kumbha (1433-1468) as the fort was invaded several times and earlier structures were destroyed. In 1567, the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar and Rana Udai Singh II abandoned Chitor for Udaipur, chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state. The temple in this photograph pre-dates the fort of Chitor and has a sanctuary and mandapa that are decorated with sculptures and the basement has miniature niches with figures. The tower over the sanctuary has clusters of miniature temple towers decorated with arch-like motifs.