Entrance of Shwe Dagon Pagoda, Rangoon 7521026
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (c.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the South Entrance to the Shwe Dagon Pagoda, Rangoon, taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in the 1890s. The Shwe Dagon is Burma's most revered Buddhist shrine. It stands on the summit of Singuttara Hill in northern Rangoon and is of ancient origins. This is a view of the main entrance, which meets the approach road from central Rangoon and the city’s port to the south. A colonnaded hall is surmounted by tiered roofs known as pyat-thats, a characteristic feature of Burmese royal and religious architecture. They are richly decorated with carved wooden flame finials on the eaves and umbrellas or hti on the spires. To the right is a colossal chinthe, a mythical animal which is the half-lion, half-griffin guardian figure of Burmese temples. Beyond the entrance hall lies a covered stairway leading up to the pagoda platform.