Entrance to the [Shwe Dagon] Pagoda
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an entrance to the Shwe Dagon Pagoda, Rangoon, taken by Bourne & Shepherd in the 1870s. The Shwe Dagon is Burma's most revered Buddhist shrine and stands on Singuttara Hill in north Rangoon. The earliest shrine on this spot dates to somewhere between the 6th and 10th centuries, but in this earthquake prone area, the pagoda has been rebuilt numerous times and the complex in its current form dates to 1769. Shown in this photograph are two of the many pavilions and shrines on the platform surrounding the main pagoda. The pavilion in the foreground has gilded columns and a tiered roof decorated with carved wooden flame finials, a richly ornamental style that is characteristic of Burmese religious and royal architecture. The conical silhouettes of stupas both large and small are visible in the distance across the temple platform.