East façade of the Jami Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Jami Masjid, at Champaner taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque, built in 1523 by Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511), is one of the most important architectural achievements of the period. The plan is based on the Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad built some 75 years earlier. It is rectangular mosque with an open courtyard. The prayer hall of the mosque is covered in eleven domes with the central part of the roof raised on a further two storeys of pillars arcades. This view shows the eastern facade which consists of five pointed archways; the taller central arched entrance is flanked by two minarets. The base of the minarets, up to the vertex of the central doorway are elaborately carved, above this are cornices at intervals. There are two projecting windows, or oriel windows, on either side of the minarets.