Entrance porch of the Jami Masjid, Champaner, view from inside the court
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance porch of the Jami Masjid at Champaner in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Jami Masjid, built in 1523, is a rectangular mosque with an open courtyard. The plan is similar to the Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad, built 75 years earlier. The prayer hall of the mosque is covered by eleven domes with the central part of the roof raised on a further two storeys of pillars arcades. This is a view of the main entrance to the courtyard of the mosque on the east side in the form of a large domed portico raised on a podium with steps on the north and south sides. Each side once had perforated stone windows, and on the east sidethere was a projecting balcony of which only the floor has survived. The dome has already collapsed when this photograph was taken and only two of the four chhatris can be seen.