Entrance porch to the court of Hilal Khan Qazi's Mosque, Dholka
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance porch to the court of Hilal Khan Qazi's Mosque at Dholka, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Hilal Khan Qazi mosque (inscribed Balal Khan Kazi), located 23 miles southwest of Ahmadabad was constructed in 1333 by Hilal Khan Qazi. The mosque and courtyard occupies an area of 147 by 142 feet. The mosque, situated on the west side, only takes up a fraction of the depth by 35 feet. There are small pavilions, or chhatris, on each of the four corners of the roof, supported on four pillars. The interior space is structured into five bays with five corresponding low conical domes, each supported by eight pillars. Accentuating the central area, the centre dome, supported by a second level of pillars, is raised an additional seven feet. The north section of the mosque is separated by a perforated partition, which was used by women.