Entrance to Buddhist vihara, Cave XXII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the entrance doorway of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 22 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The thirty magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas) built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the 2nd - 1st century BC. After a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the 5th century AD in the Vakataka period. In the 'Report on the Buddhist Cave Temples and their Inscriptions' of 1883, James Burgess wrote, "Cave XXII is a very small cave, and the sculpture is not of much merit. The doorway is...of the usual type, only that the figures of the females or river goddesses are smaller and more subdued than usual."
The façade of the verandah has collapsed.