Entrance to the shrine of the large temple, Satgaon, Buldana District, Berar
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the large temple at Satgaon from the north, taken by Robert Gill in 1871, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 33). This view shows the principal temple at Satgaon built in the thirteenth-century Hemadpanti style of the Yadava period. The photograph is taken from inside the 'mandapa' or antechamber, looking through the doorway of the shrine itself. The temple is dedicated to Vishnu and faces west. To the east are the sanctuary and the 'mandapa' or antechamber with porticos to the north, south and west. The temple and its porticos are open with a low screen wall ornamented by dwarf pilasters decorated with carved figures.