East face of Man Mandir and Fort, Gwalior
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph shows the fort of Gwalior, looking northwards along the east side of the fort plateau with the exterior of the Man Mandir palace in the foreground and the Vikram Mandir beyond. The Man Mandir was built by Raja Man Singh as his royal residence between 1486 and 1516, while the Vikram Mandir was built for Vikramaditya shorty before the outset his brief reign between 1516 and 1518. The domes of the impressive towers of the Man Mandir were originally gilded with copper. The surfaces of the exterior walls are decorated with relief carvings and blue, green and yellow tilework friezes showing ducks, crocodiles, peacocks, elephants and tigers.