Front of Ghopal Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Gopal Bhavan at Dig in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Gopal Bhavan is one of four pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). The pavilions stand on each side of a square formal garden in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh which is flanked by two large reservoirs. The garden is divided into four parterres by water channels filled with fountains which run from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The Gopal Bhavan is the principal pavilion and lies on the western edge of the garden, overlooking the garden to the front and the Gopal Sagar reservoir to the rear. This is a view from the south-east looking across the garden towards the front facade. Built of yellow sandstone in c.1763, it has a projecting central range containing a single-storey hall, flanked by double-storeyed wings. The façade has arcades of cusped arches beneath two deep projecting eaves or chhajjas.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V (1865-1936). The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.