Feroze Shah's lath [Delhi].
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. View of the Kotla of Firoz Shah with the Ashokan pillar. Firoz Shah Kotla was the citadel of the city of Firuzabad founded by Feroz Shah Tughlaq (r.1351-88) in 1354 which extended from Hauz Khas to the banks of the Yamuna. Only some ramparts and ruined structures survive. The remains of a pyramidical structure topped by the Ashokan pillar stands out. The pillar was brought here by Feroz Shah from Ambala and is the second column of Mauryan Emperor Ashoka (r.c.272-31). It was the first Ashokan pillar to be deciphered by James Princep in 1837, giving the key to the Brahmi script.