Front view of the Qadam Rasul [Masjid], Gaur. 1003106
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by Joseph Beglar in the 1870s for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Qadam Rasul was built in 1530 by Sultan Nusrat Shah (1519-32) to house a representation of the Prophet, an impression of Muhammed's footprint which was brought on a stone from Medina to the sultanate capital of Gaur in West Bengal. The building comprises a square domed chamber with a verandah on the north, east and south sides. The arched entrances on the south side shown here are carried on massive octagonal piers. This is a view across the court towards the carved brick facade with a central triple-arched entrance. The surfaces of the building are decorated in a series of relief panels of floral and vegetal designs.