Photograph of the front view of the ruined Baladitya temple at Nalanda, in Bihar taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1872. James Burgess wrote in "The Ancient Monuments , Temples and Sculptures of India" that, 'Among the ruins of Nalanda, the most notable is the Temple of Baladitya (Narasinhagupta) King of Magadha, who ruled about 530.A.D. It was partly excavated in 1863 and more completely in 1871 and a short description on the door jamb, in the reign of Mahapali-deva, records a donation to the temple in Samvat 913 (?) or A.D. 991, by an oil merchant of Kausambi named Baladitya of the Mahayana School. The base is 80 feet long and the temple is built of brick partly faced with stone. It was part of the great monastic establishment of the great Buddhist School, where Hiuen Tsiang the Chinese pilgrim studied when he visited India in about 640 A.D. and of which he gives so full an account.'