Facade of the Chota Hathi Gumpha or Small Elephant Cave, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Hathi Gumpha, or Elephant Cave, Udayagiri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892. The twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, have a group of Jain cave temples, called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi dynasty in the 1st century BC. The Hathi Gumpha or 'Elephant Cave' is a large natural cavern that was slightly enlarged, it has a small cell with one door. The arch over the entrance is decorated with flowers, and flanked with elephants carved in high relief. There is an inscription over the entrance of King Kharavela who reigned in the 1st century BC. Other Brahmi inscriptions contain the names of monks and ascetics. The entrance to the Alakapuri Cave is visible on the right of this photograph.