Front and left-hand wing of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the front and left-hand wing of the Rani Gumpha at Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa). The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It has a double storey, excavated on three sides of a quadrangle, with a spacious courtyard. There was once a verandah in front of the lower storey of the main wing. Above the doors of the cells of the lower storey there is a continuous frieze of bas-reliefs, now badly eroded. On the second floor the pillared portico protects the freize over the entrances of the cells.